Localism Act (2011) & Deregulation Act (2015) effects on Tenancy Deposit Legislation (Housing Act 2004 s212 – 215)
- Deposit received BEFORE 6.4.07 and tenancy either periodic from the start, or a fixed-term AST that became a statutory periodic also before 6.4.2007 - no deadline for protection but landlord must protect or return deposit to serve s21. No s.214 compensation claim possible.
- Deposit received BEFORE 6.4.07 on a fixed-term AST which became statutory periodic on or after 6.4.07 – Landlord’s had until 23.6.2015 to protect deposit and serve prescribed information, to avoid s21 restrictions and s214 penalty.
- Deposit received ON or AFTER 6.4.07, BUT before 6.4.12 – landlord had to protect deposit, and serve prescribed information by 6.5.12 to avoid s21 restrictions and s214 penalty.
- Deposit received FROM 6.4.2012 until present day – landlord has just 30 days to protect deposit and serveprescribed information to avoid s21 restrictions and s214 penalty.
- If AST is renewed, or statutory periodic tenancy arises after a fixed-term, there is no need to re-protect the deposit, or re-serve prescribed information.
PLEASE REMEMBER TO PROTECT YOUR TENANTS DEPOSITS & REMEMBER TO SERVE THEM WITH PRESCRIBED INFORMATION!!
Last Updated: 06/10/2015