Building Regulations are intended to ensure the safety, health, welfare and convenience of people in and around buildings. They are also designed to further the conservation of fuel and energy. Building Regulations change over time, the most recent changes took effect from 2010. These relate to Parts G, F, J and L. The actual amended Building Regulations have been published and the various provisions came into force on either the 6th April 2010 or 1st October 2010. The information below gives a brief summary of the details that are available. For full details please refer to 'The Buildings and Approved Inspectors (Amendment) Regulations 2010', Communities and Local Government Circular 03/2010 and the Approved Documents.
The amended regulations and circular can be downloaded from links at the website for the Department of Communities and Local Government.
Part G - Sanitation, hot water safety and water efficiency
Commenced on 5th April 2010
Part F - Ventilation
Commenced on 1st October 2010
Part J - Combustion appliances and fuel storage systems
Commenced on 1st October 2010
- There is a new requirement for the installation of carbon monoxide alarms in dwellings in appropriate circumstances when a combustion appliance is installed.
- Document J is available to download from the Planning Portal website.
Part L - Energy efficiency provisions
Commenced 1st October 2010
- The exemption from the energy efficiency provisions for extensions consisting of a conservatory or porch is amended to grant the exemption only where the existing walls, windows or doors are retained or replaced if removed or where the heating system of the building is not extended into the conservatory or porch
- A new requirement is introduced for CO2 emission rate calculations to be carried out before the start of building work on the erection of a new building and given to Building Control, along with a list of the specifications used in the calculations.
- Approved Documents L1A, L1B, L2A and L2B and the Domestic Building Services Compliance Guide 2010 and the Non-domestic Building Services Compliance Guide 2010 are available to download from the Planning Portal website.
Alterations to the type of work that can be self certified - 6th April 2010
By government approved Competent Persons so that it includes combustion appliances with a rated heat input/output of more than 100 kilowatts or in buildings more than three storeys.
Insulation in a roof or loft space - 6th April 2010
Work that consists of the insulation in a roof or loft space where this is the only work being carried out and there is no requirement to carry out the work is now classed as exempt work and Building Control do not need to be notified. N.B. - if insulation is being provided, as part of other work e.g. re-roofing then an application must still be made.
Where an application by full plans or building notice is made prior to the 6th April 2010 and work commences prior to that date the pre 2010 requirements apply
Where a full plans application is made prior to the 6th April 2010 and passed with no conditions or all conditions discharged then work can comply with pre 2010 requirements as long as it starts prior to the 6th April 2011
Where a building notice is made prior to 6th April 2010 and work commences prior to the 1st October 2010 then a contract must have been entered into
If the application process or start of work falls outside these limits then work must comply with the 2010 Part G requirements
Parts F, J and L
Where building work has started before 1st October 2010 the work may continue as if the amendments had not been made
Where a contract for work that is currently classed as exempt building work has been agreed the work may be carried out as if the amendments had not been made provided the work begins before 6th April 2011
Where a full plans or building notice application are made before the 1st October 2010, the work can be carried out as if the amendments had not been made provided the work begins before the 1st October 2011.
Much more information will be available when the Approved Documents for F, J and L are published. We will be able to provide more guidance and assistance at that time and we plan to hold briefing seminars at a later date. In the meantime if any assistance or information is required, especially regarding Part G, then please do not hesitate to contact the Building Control Service.
Last Updated: 14/09/2015