On 6th April 2010 new rights for permitted development covering industry, warehousing, schools, colleges, universities, hospitals, office and shops were introduced.
Those forms of development, which can be carried out without the need to obtain a specific planning permission from the Council, have been extended with effect from 6th April 2010. New "Permitted Development" regulations apply to new buildings (in some cases) extensions & alterations to existing developments in the categories listed above. A summary only of the provisions is set out below, but if you are considering proposals that might fall within the scope of the regulations you should first check with one of our planning officers. The full content of the Town & Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (Amendment) Order 2010 can be viewed at www.opsi.gov.uk.
Industry and Warehousing - extends existing rights to erect, extend and alter buildings provided that:
- Cumulative gross floor area (GFA) does not exceed 1000sq.m or 25% of original whichever is the lesser (the limits are 500 sq m or 10% in the AONB or a Conservation Area). No individual building with a GFA of more than 100sq m.
- Not within 5m of a boundary.
- Also mustn't take up parking or turning space.
- Provision/replacement of hard surfaces if porous or drained to a permeable area within the curtilage unless there would be a risk of contamination.
Schools, Colleges, Universities, Hospitals - extends existing rights to erect, extend and alter buildings provided that -
- Cumulative GFA does not exceed 100 sq m. or 25% of original whichever is the lesser.
- No higher than 5m, not within 5m of a boundary and no loss of playing fields.
- Up to 50 sq m of hard surface subject to the same conditions as for industry/warehousing.
Offices - new rights to extend and alter buildings providing that:
- Cumulative GFA does not exceed 50 sq m. or 25% of original whichever is the lesser, with similar limitations on height & distance from boundaries as schools etc.
- Hard surfaces the same as for schools etc.
Shops/catering/financial or professional services - new rights to extend and alter buildings and construct hard surfaces which are largely the same as for:
- Offices but excludes shopfronts & security shutters. However there is an additional provision to allow construction of small trolley stores.
None of these new "Permitted Development" rights are available within the curtilage of a Listed Building and those relating to offices and shops are not available in the AONB or Conservation Areas.
Last Updated: 23/03/2018