The district is subject to ‘Smoke Control Orders’. These measures were introduced to tackle the historically poor air quality in the district, associated with the prevalence of domestic coal burning.
This means that it is an offence to emit smoke from a chimney except:
- If you’re burning an authorised (smokeless) fuel or
- In cases where non-smokeless fuels such as logs are burnt, when it is permissible to use an ‘exempt appliances’, eg burners or stoves.
The following links provide information to help you compply with with domestic smoke control requirements and make the most from your fuel:
- Uk Smoke Control Areas - Includes lists of authorised smokeless fuels and exempt appliances
- Woodsure - Scheme providing list of approved suppliers to ensure that bought wood is suitable for use in smoke control areas.
- Smoke Control Areas: Do you know the rules
- Open Fires and Wood-burning Stoves: A practical guide
A fine of up to £1,000 can be imposed if you break the rules.
Last Updated: 08/03/2019